|MANCHESTER LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY|
| HOME | MEMBERS' PAGE | HISTORY OF THE SOCIETY | FEATURE ARTICLES | GALLERY
THE STEPHENSON LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY (N.W. AREA)
THE MANCHESTER LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY
THE WEST CUMBERLAND RAILTOUR
Sunday, 5th September, 1954
DESCRIPTIVE NOTES ON THE ROUTE by W.McGowan Gradon, B.A
NOTE: These notes have been prepared with all references given as if the passenger is facing the direction of travel.
SELLAFIELD TO MOOR ROW Distance: 7 miles 45 chains.
This section consists of part of the former WHITEHAVEN, CLEATOR & EGREMONT RAILWAY which had been incorporated under Act 17 & 18 Vic. Cap 64 of 16th June 1854 to construct a line from Mirehouse Junction in Whitehaven to Moor Row and Egremont, with a two mile branch from Moor Row to Frizington. The line was opened through to Frizington and Egremont for goods traffic on 11th January 1857 and for passenger traffic on 1st July 1857. The 5¼ mile extension from Egremont to Sellafield was authorised under Act 29 & 30 Vic. Cap 132 of 28th June 1866 and was to be constructed jointly with the Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. The capital was subscribed in equal proportions but the line, which was opened in 1869, was worked by the Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway. The Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway was vested in the LNWR from 1st July 1877 but the following year this was amended with effect from 22nd August to the LNWR & FURNESS RLY jointly.
The line was closed between Sellafield and Moor Row for passenger traffic on 7th January 1935 but subsequently re-opened on 11th March 1940 for Winder to Drigg workmen's trains. This service was withdrawn on 8th April 1940 after a very brief time. Ordinary passenger traffic was again resumed on the line on 6th May 1946 but it was again short-lived and was withdrawn again during the fuel crisis of early 1947, the official date being 16th June 1947. However, the lline is still used by unadvertised workmen's trains from Workington Main (dep 6.08am) and Whitehaven Corkickle (dep 6.35am) via Moor Row and calling at Moor Row, Woodend, Egremont to Sellafield and Seascale (arr 7.16am). The return services start from Sellafield at 12.15pm on Saturdays and 5.15pm Monday to Fridays.
The section from Sellafield to Egremont was worked by Train Staff and Ticket until 9th October 1902 and thereafter by Electric Train Staff. Leaving Sellafield the single track runs parallel with the former Furness Railway main line to Whitehaven (also single track from Sellafield) for about a quarter of a mile. It then swings away to the right on a 20 chain radius curve. Note the River Ehen ( pronounced "En") on the left which is crossed by the Furness Railway main line as it follows the coast toward St Bees. The gradient steepens to 1 in 120; is level for 12 chains; another rise at 1 in 80 through BECKERMET. Since this station was closed and the passing loop removed it has ceased to be a Block Post. It is 2 miles 6 chains from Sellafield. The goods yard is on the Up (right) side. Beyond Beckermet, at a distance of 21 chains, is BECKERMET MINES JCT which is a Block Post but not a crossing place. Here the mineral branch to Windscales No 1 and No 2 Iron Ore Mines of the United Steel Companies comes in on the Up (right) side, making a trailing junction with the main line from the direction of Sellafield. There is a loop at the foot of the branch which carried a service of miners' passenger trains from 15th January 1912 onwards. These trains consisted of four LNWR coaches hauled by a Furness Rly locomotive. The track is now level for 24 chains and then falls at 1 in 200 past Florence Pit Sidings (Up side) which lead to the Millom and Askam Iron Company's ore mine of that name. Florence Pit Sidings Box is a Staff Section, but again, not a crossing point. The line now passes under the Millom-Egremont main road, rising at 1 in 1534, and passing the site of St Thomas Cross Platform at which the miners for Florence Pit detrained in the pre-bus era.
The line now enters EGREMONT, and the ULLCOATS MINERAL BRANCH comes in on the Up (right) side to join the main line at Ullcoats Junction Ground Frame on a rising gradient of 1 in 80. Distance is now 4 miles 69 chains from Sellafield. The station at EGREMONT is centrally situated at the north end of the main street. The goods yard and Milk Marketing Board's sidings are on the Up (right) side as also the storage sidings for traffic on the Ullcoats Branch. Egremont is 5 miles 17 chains from Sellafield and from here to the next station at WOODEND the track becomes double, being so converted from 13th June 1881. On the Down (left) side 37 chains beyond Egremont, note the remains of the GILLFOOT BRANCH which led to a group of mines operated by the Wyndham Mining Company, and the ruins of Townhead Mine. This branch was opened on the 1st June 1880 and closed on 11th February 1931. The gradient up to Clintz Quarry Sidings, where the signal box has recently been demolished, is at 1 in 750. The quarry is on the Down (left) side. The gradient steepens to 1 in 88 up to WOODEND (6 miles 25 chains) where the St Bees to Cleator main road is crossed on the level. The goods yard is on the Down (left) side. The track becomes single again, rises at 1 in 140, runs through a shallow cutting, and falls towards Moor Row at 1 in 236, easing to 1 in 880. Good views of the hills around Ennerdale can be seen on the Up (right) side. The remains of the BIGRIGG MINERAL BRANCH can be seen on the the Down (left) side at a point 7 miles 6 chains from Sellafield. This branch served some half-dozen iron mines, the last of which closed soon after the end of the 1939/45 War. A curve of 16 chains radius brings the track round into MOOR ROW station, where it joins (trailing in on the right) the double track from Cleator Moor Junction.
At MOOR ROW (7 miles 45 chains ex Sellafield) the CROSSFIELD MINERAL BRANCH also comes in on the Up (right) side. The locomotive shed, which was closed at midnight on 31st July 1954, and the marshalling sidings are across the track from Cleator Moor Junction, on the Up (right) side. The remains of the old Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway Workshops are on the Down (left) side of the line from Cleator Moor.
MOOR ROW TO MARRON JUNCTION Distance: 13 miles 69 chains.
This line was opened at various dates by the Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway (later LNWR/Furness Joint from 1878). From Moor Row to Frizington the line was opened for goods traffic on 11th January 1857 and for passenger traffic on 1st July 1857. Passenger services from Frizington to Rowrah started on 12th February 1864 and from Rowrah through Lamplugh to Marron Junction in April 1866. Goods services had been in operation from Frizington to Rowrah and Lamplugh from November 1862. Passenger services over this section were withdrawn on 13th April 1931.
The original main line to Marron Junction ran, double tracked, via Cleator Moor Junction and Cleator Moor (East) Joint Station to Birks Bridge Junction, a distance of 1 mile 40 chains. Nowadays, the track from Cleator Moor Junction to Birks Bridge Junction is not used for traffic purposes and provides storage accomodation for condemned coaches awaiting scrapping. The entire section from Birks Bridge Junction to Rowrah was converted to single track circa 1947.
The CROSSFIELD MINERAL BRANCH (1 mile 29 chains) was opened by the Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway in the summer of 1864, and is followed by the Tour Train. It runs via the famous Crowgarth Iron Mines, operated first by Lord Leconfield, and later by the Barrow Haematite Steel Company, and on to Cleator Moor (Goods). Note the remains of Crowgarth and Montreal Mines on the Up (left) side and also the remains of the Whitehaven Haematite Iron Company's slag banks. The site of the furnaces (closed in 1933) is on the Up (left) side across the main road and is now occupied by a single-storey factory making thermometers. The track passes under the main road from Whitehaven to Cleator Moor, the goods sidings being on the Down (right) side. Originally, there was access into the blast furnaces from the Yard, on the Up side. The original "Main Line" is rejoined at Birks Bridge Junction where note, on the Down (right) side, the short siding leading into Messrs Watson's Heathcote Foundry, where many local industrial locomotives have been overhauled during the past hundred years. After passing under the Bowthorn - Frizington road, the track climbs steadily at 1 in 88 for about a mile, steepening to 1 in 80 for a further 24 chains. A short level stretch, followed by 9 chains of 1 in 264 downhill brings the line to FRIZINGTON 2miles 6 chains from Moor Row. The site of the Birks Iron Ore Works is on the Up (left) side, just short of the station. The goods yard, and the site of the track leading to Holebeck Pit and others worked by the Dalmellington Iron Company, are on the Down (right) side. The wagon repair works of Messrs G W Wilkinson & Co. were originally situated here.
Beyond FRIZINGTON Station, which is over a mile from the township, the line passes over the Cleator Moor - Cockermouth main road and climbs at 1 in 100, steepening to 1 in 60 for 41 chains. Curves of 12, 20, and 22 chains radius occur on this section. On the Up (left) side, the remains of the Mowbray Branch, serving the Parkside, High House, and Mowbray Iron Mines can be seen. Shortly after, on the Down (right) side, the ESKETT MINERAL BRANCH diverged. The branch was closed on 11th February 1931 and has now been lifted. It ran on the opposite side of the valley to tap the Eskett Mine, and the Margaret Mine at which the branch terminated. Originally there was an outlet back on to the main line just beyond YEATHOUSE Station. The line climbs steadily, easing from 1 in 60 to 1 in 125 and then steepens to 1 in 45 for 25 chains to reach YEATHOUSE (3 miles 39 chains) Station, set on a gradient of 1 in 76.
YEATHOUSE was the terminal point of the service of miners' "Specials" to and from the Beckermet Mines. The disused Yeathouse Limestone Quarry is on the Up (left) side. Beyond the station the gradient stiffens to 1 in 44 for 57 chains; then eases to 1 in 74. The remains of the mineral branch serving Lonsdale Ore Mine comes in on the Up (left) side. WINDER (4 miles 30 chains) is now reached. The private track of the Eskett Quarry Company comes in on the Down (right) side. This quarry is still in operation but the bulk of the traffic is moved by road, and the Company's 0-4-0 Saddle Tank has little to do. Beyond WINDER the line has a short level stretch of 12 chains before the 1 in 64 descent to Rowrah begins. Note, on the Up (left) side, the short remaining portion (running up to a stop-block) of the CLEATOR & WORKINGTON JUNCTION RAILWAY's DISTINGTON to ROWRAH BRANCH ("Baird's Line"), which was built to connect the ROWRAH & KELTON FELL (MINERAL) RAILWAY with the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway. This branch crosses our track by an over-bridge and swings alongside on the Down (right) side, throwing out a direct spur into the Rowrah Hall Limestone Quarry of the United Steel ). This quarry is still in operation. The remains of the ROWRAH & KELTON FELL (MINERAL) RAILWAY can be seen on the Down (right) side. The track now enters ROWRAH Station.
ROWRAH (pronounced "Raowrah") is 5 miles 19 chains from Moor Row and was the terminal point for the majority of the passenger services from and to Whitehaven. The track was originally double throughout to Marron Junction, but the section from Rowrah onwards was "singled" from 1st January 1914 when electric train staff working was introduced. The section up to Rowrah was "singled" circa 1947. The small goods yard and the only remaining signal box are beyond the station. Note the remains of the line leading to the disused Kelton Limestone Quarry, on the Down (right) side. Since November 1953 there has been no traffic over the section onwards to Marron Junction and the line was officially totally closed on 3rd May 1954. It is highly probable that the Tour train will be the last revenue-earning train to use the line. The line now descends steadily down the Marron Valley at 1 in 100. About 2 miles beyond Rowrah, on the Down (right) side, is the remains of Lamplugh (pronounced "Lampla") Iron Ore Siding. This was fed by an aerial ropeway from Winnah, Coronation, and Lamplugh Ore Mines, operated by the Glasgow Iron & Steel Company. The Coronation Mine was the last one working, being closed in the mid-1930's.
LAMPLUGH lies 7 miles 25 chains from Moor Row. Just short of the station, note, on the Up (left) side, the siding and loading ramp for the Dean Moor Colliery. This was a "drift" mine situated on the hillside to the west of the line and served by a narrow gauge "tramway". It was not nationalised and continued to operate until 1951, and today, there is talk of re-opening it. There was formerly a passing loop at Lamplugh but this has been removed. The signal box is still standing but no signals remain here or anywhere else between Rowrah and Marron Junction. Lamplugh Station was known as WRIGHT GREEN until October 1901. The descent of the Marron Valley continues for another 1¾ miles with gradients varying from 1 in 55 to 1 in 206, thereafter, a short level stretch brings the line to the site of ULLOCK Station (not a block post).
ULLOCK JUNCTION (9 miles 20 chains ex Moor Row) lies a quarter mile beyond Ullock Station, and was the diverging point (facing junction on Up (left) side) of the Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway's GILGARRON BRANCH to Distington(Joint) and Parton. The branch was temporarily closed in November 1918 between Ullock Junction and Wythmoor Colliery Siding and although not officially closed until 14th February 1929 was never re-opened. Ullock Junction ceased to be a Block Post from the closing date onwards. The line continues with a short climb at 1 in 424, followed by a sharp drop of 1 in 83, easing to 1 in 90 over a mile to BRANTHWAITE.
BRANTHWAITE (10 miles 10 chains ex Moor Row) Station was a Block Post, and served a scattered village. From Ullock to Branthwaite there are numerous curves of radius down to 14 and 16 chains. The course of the River Marron, which flows into the River Derwent, is closely followed. Beyond Branthwaite the line pursues a short level stretch, giving way to a descent of 1 in 70, easing through 1 in 121 to 1 in 132, passing under the Workington to Cockermouth main road, to reach BRIDGEFOOT (13 miles 6 chains ex Moor Row) with its single platform and siding. Note, on the Down (right) side, the fixed distant signal for MARRON JUNCTION. From Bridgefoot, the line swings to the left on a 10 chain radius curve. Note the remains of the direct spur on the Down (right) side, which enabled traffic to run direct to and from Cockermouth. The section from Bridgefoot to Marron Junction was still double track in 1924 but has now been "singled". MARRON JUNCTION Station was closed on 1st July 1897. Since the early 1880's it was an "exchange" station only; passengers were not booked to, nor could they obtain tickets at the station. Certain Joint Line trains continued to call there after 1897 but this was only for railway staff purposes and was not advertised.
MARRON JUNCTION TO WORKINGTON (MAIN) Distance: 4 miles 38 chains.
MARRON JUNCTION provides connection with the Workington - Cockermouth Section of the LNWR. This line had been authorised under Act of 21st July 1845 and was opened on 28th April 1847 as the COCKERMOUTH AND WORKINGTON RAILWAY and was absorbed by the LNWR under Act of 16th July 1866. Leaving Marron Junction the River Derwent flows on the Up (right) side. The line proceeds to CAMERTON (1 mile 18 chains) and beyond the station (closed to passengers 3rd March 1952) on the Down (left) side are the sidings for the William Pit of the former Allerdale Coal Co Ltd. This colliery is still in operation. The line crosses the River Derwent and passes through WORKINGTON BRIDGE Station, which was closed to all traffic on 1st January 1951. The station is 3 miles 26 chains from Marron Junction. Just beyond the station, note the site of the connecting double-track spur from Workington Bridge Junction to Cloffocks Junction, on the CLEATOR & WORKINGTON JUNCTION RAILWAY. This spur was opened on 16th March 1885 and provided the junction over which the Durham coke traffic via the COCKERMOUTH, KESWICK & PENRITH RAILWAY worked directly on to the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway system. The LNWR line passes under the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway line from WORKINGTON (CENTRAL) to SIDDICK JUNCTION and then swings sharply round to the south to join the Maryport to Workington main line at DERWENT JUNCTION after which, the River Derwent is crossed to enter WORKINGTON (MAIN) Station (4 miles 38 chains) from Marron Junction. The locomotive sheds here were openend 1st September 1877.
WORKINGTON (MAIN) TO SIDDICK JUNCTION Distance: 1 mile 35 chains.
Leaving Workington (Main) Station and travellilng northwards, the River Derwent is re-crosssed and the LNWR Maryport line is taken at DERWENT JUNCTION. This line was formerly the WHITEHAVEN JUNCTION RAILWAY and ran from a junction with the MARYPORT & CARLISLE RAILWAY at Maryport, along the Cumberland coast through Workington to Whitehaven, where a junction was effected with the FURNESS RAILWAY. The line was incorporated on 30th June 1844 and was opened from Maryport to Workington on 19th January 1846; from Workington to Harrington on 18th May 1846; and Harrington to Whitehaven on 19th March1847. Goods traffic was conved from Harrington to Whitehaven from 15th February 1847. The LNWR absorbed the line under Act of 16th July 1866.
The Prince of Wales Dock is on the west (left) side and the branch giving access to and from the Cockermouth line to the Harbour is crossed on the level. Immediately beyond this point is Old Side signal box, with (left) the site of the former Workington Iron Company's Old Side Furnaces, and also the blast furnaces of the one-time West Cumberland Iron & Steel Company. The Cleator & Workington Junction Railway's Workington Dock Branch (lifted in January 1937) formerly crossed the LNWR by a now demolished overbridge at the northern end of the old works site and before St Helens Colliery is reached. Shortly SIDDICK JUNCTION is reached and the CLEATOR & WORKINGTON JUNCTION RAILWAY makes a trailing connection on the east (right) side. The station here was opened 1st September 1880 for "exchange" passengers only, becoming a normal public station from 1st March 1890 to its closure on 1st October 1934.
SIDDICK JUNCTION TO CALVA JUNCTION Distance: 1 mile 9 chains.
The route forward to Moor Row, together with the journey to Buckhill on the Linefoot Branch is over the track of the CLEATOR & WORKINGTON JUNCTION RAILWAY. This company was incorporated on 27th June 1876 and the section from Cleator Moor Junction (Moor Row) to Workington (Central) was opened on 1st October 1879, and from Workington (Central) onwards to Siddick Junction on 1st September 1880. The passenger services were taken off the line from Workington (Central) to Moor Row on 13th April 1931 on which date Moresby Parks and High Harrington stations were closed entirely except for coal and private siding traffic. The whole of the route from Siddick Junction to Moor Row is double track. After reversing directon at Siddick Junction the line swings away to the left, on a short rise of 1 in 70, to pass behind one of the shafts of St Helens Colliery. In 36 chains on the Up (right) side, note the site of Dock Junction, from where, as previously mentioned, the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway worked its shipment traffic to Workington Dock. After a further half-mile CALVA JUNCTION is reached, and where a reversal is necessary to get on to the BUCKHILL COLLIERY LINE.
CALVA JUNCTION TO BUCKHILL AND BACK Distance: 3 miles 13 chains each way.
At CALVA JUNCTION, on the Down (left) side, the NORTHERN EXTENSION LINE makes a trailing connection with the main line. The Northern Extension Line originally ran from Calva Junction through Seaton, to make a connection with the Maryport & Carlisle Railway's Derwent Branch at LINEFOOT JUNCTION. The DERWENT BRANCH ran from Bulgill (north of Maryport) to Brigham, on the LNWR Workington-Cockermouth line. This branch was opened on 1st June 1867 and closed to all traffic on 29th April 1935; the track is now lifted.
The line from Calva Junction through to Linefoot Junction was opened on 24th March 1887, but today it extends only to BUCKHILL GROUND FRAME near to the Admiralty Dump at Broughton Moor, a distance of 3 miles 13 chains. Previously the line had extended to Buckhill Colliery, a distance of 4 miles 9 chains. The ruling gradient is 1 in 70 climbing out of Calva Junction. SEATON (1 mile 54 chains) is the only station on the route and at times possessed a modest passenger service to and from Workington (Central). It was originally a Block Post and had a passing loop as the Northern Extension Line was single track. The Workington (Central) to Seaton passenger service ran from June 1888 to July 1897, and again from February 1907 to February 1922. From 1st September 1908 to November of the same year, the trains ran through to Linefoot, calling intermediately at GREAT BROUGHTON Station.
CALVA JUNCTION TO MOOR ROW Distance: 10 miles 58 chains.
Returning from Buckhill, the branch joins the main line (right) which proceeds southwards and crosses the Cockermouth-Workington LNWR line, and the River Derwent. The gradient rises at 1 in 70, having passed the site of CLOFFOCKS JUNCTION (30 chains) previously mentioned, on the Down (left) side. The line proceeds through a cutting and then enters WORKINGTON (CENTRAL) Station (45 chains) situated pretty well in the centre of the town. Originally there was a short bay platform on the Down (left) side used by the passenger trains to LOWCA. The goods yard and the remains of the C & W J R locomotive shed are on the Up (right) side. Leaving Workington (Central) the line climbs at 1 in 70 for the next mile, rising in a cutting above the town, and in 1½ miles HARRINGTON JUNCTION (2 miles 7 chains) is reached.
HARRINGTON JUNCTION (2 miles 7 chains ex Calva Junction) Note on the Up (right ) side, the sidings and debouchment of the track leading on to the LOWCA LIGHT RAILWAY, and also the commencement of the Moss Bay and Derwent Branches of the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway as far as Rosehill Junction
(1 mile 35 chains) thence the 2 mile 4 chains to LOWCA is the property of the United Steel Companies. The passenger service on the LOWCA LIGHT RAILWAY ran from 2nd June 1913 to 1st April 1929 but had not been advertised from July 1926 until the withdrawal of services. The DERWENT BRANCH is now closed and lifted but the United Steel Companies' engines and trains work daily between Lowca Colliery and Moss Bay Steelworks via the Lowca Light Railway, Harrington Junction, and the Moss Bay Branch. Just before Harrington Junction, a short level stretch steepens to 1 in 250, followed by another climb of 1 in 70 which persists through HIGH HARRINGTON Station (2 miles 55 chains). The line continues in a shallow cutting, passing the site of Barffs Quarry Siding on the Up (right) side, while the gradient eases to 1 in 94. The main Workington to Whitehaven road is crossed just before DISTINGTON Station is reached.
DISTINGTON (pronounced "Dissington") is 3 miles 70 chains from Calva Junction. It was originally known as "Distington Joint" Station, since it was the joint property of the C & W J R and the W C & E R. The station boasts a subway; three plarforms, one of which is an "island" and a fair array of sidings. Note on the Up (right) side, just short of the road bridge, the site of the western section of the GILGARRON BRANCH (previously noted) coming in from PARTON. This section was opened for goods traffic on 3rd May 1879 and for an advertised passenger service from 1st June 1881 to 8th December 1883. An unadvertised passenger service also ran from 1st October 1913 to September 1914. The line was entirely closed in May 1932. The branch immediately debouches on the Down (left) side of Distington Station to proceed via Distington Ironworks to ULLOCK JUNCTION, a distance of 4 miles 26 chains from Distington. The old ironworks site is now used by the works of High Duty Alloys Ltd, but the old slag banks can be seen behind the works. The line dips momentarily through Distington Station, but as it swings round to the right, the climb begins again; first, up to the site of the Rowrah Branch Junction box (on Up (right) side) at 1 in 258, and then at 1 in 70 for two miles. Note on the Up (right) side the site of the branch to ROWRAH, which makes a trailing connection with the Up line, climbs alongside, and then passes over the main line to commence its severe climb to Pica and Oatlands pit. The ROWRAH BRANCH carried a passenger service from Distington to OATLANDS from September 1888 to July 1892. Services were resumed in November 1909 and in October 1912, the service was extended to ARLECDON (the station for Rowrah) and quite close to the W C & E R station. This service was withdrawn on 1st January 1917 but was resumed as far as Oatlands in July 1917 and finally withdrawn in September 1922, although unadvertised trains continued to run until 1st January 1927. The branch ws finally closed to all traffic on 8th August 1938, and the track lifted in October 1939.
The main line climbs steadily above Distington village and the sea can be seen on the Up (right) side, as also the Lowca Colliery and Micklem Brickworks. The line runs along a high ridge of land which separates the main road to Whitehaven from the ore-bearing country which lies between this ridge and the Ennerdale Fells. Good views of the Fells can be seen near Moresby Parks on the Down (left) side. The long 1 in 70 climb is broken momentarily by a short level portion, followed by another half-mile of 1 in 72 which eases to 1 in 466. In clear weather good views across the Solway Firth to the Galloway Coast can be seen from here on the Up (right) side.
MORESBY PARKS (7 miles 5 chains ex Calva Junction) has a goods yard on the Down (left) side. The mining village is close to the station. The line swings leftwards under the Moresby Parks - Whitehaven road and commences a 3½ mile descent at 1 in 70/72. Just below the underbridge is MORESBY JUNCTION (7 miles 49 chains) where, on the Down (left) side, are the sidings and branch line leading to the Walkmill Colliery of the former Moresby Coal Company. The colliery is still in operation. The line descends through a rocky cutting with several curves and then emerges on to an embankment which once carried a "Halt" platform. This was KEEKLE COLLIERS PLATFORM and served a small mining hamlet on the Up (right) side. A similar "Halt" platform was provided at MORESBY JUNCTION and miners' specials were run to and from Moor Row. This Halt had an advertised passenger service from July 1910 to 1st January 1911, and again from June 1913 to September 1923.
The River Keekle is crossed on a sandstone viaduct and then the line swings right into a shallow cutting and passes under the main Cleator Moor - Whitehaven main road. Here, in this shallow cutting is the site of the CLEATOR MOOR (WEST) (Cleator & Workington Junction Railway) Station (9 miles 72 chains ex Calva Junction). Just behind the Down (left) platform, the line leading into Cleator Moor Ironworks of the Whitehaven Haematite Iron Company branched off. Its course can be clearly seen crossing a field on a sharp curve to enter the works yard by an unprotected level crossing over the main road into Cleator Moor. The track swings right again, and the old "main line" from Birks Bridge Junction to Moor Row coming in on the Down (left) side at CLEATOR MOOR JUNCTION (10 miles 11 chains) can be clearly seen. From here it is but 47 chains to MOOR ROW, 11 miles 67 chains from SIDDICK JUNCTION.
MOOR ROW TO WHITEHAVEN (CORKICKLE) Distance: 3 miles 15 chains.
This section of the WHITEHAVEN, CLEATOR & EGREMONT RAILWAY was opened on 11th January 1857 for goods and on 1st July 1857 for passenger services. The line has suffered the same disturbances of services outlined in the section dealing with Sellafield to Moor Row. Leaving MOOR ROW, the line soon dips down in a cutting at 1 in 52, passing under the Egremont - Whitehaven main road. The slight widening on the Down (left) side is the only indication of the point where the branch to Posthlethwaite's Moor Row Mines began. There are curves of 17; 20; and 22 chains radius on the falling gradient of Corkickle Bank, which later eases to 1 in 64 and finally to 1 in 300. At this point, the Furness Railway main line from Sellafield and the south comes alongside from ST BEES on the Down (left) side rising up from a cutting at 1 in 347. Note the extensive housing estate at Mirehouse on the Down (left) side, and also the scarcely discernible site of Corkickle No 1 Signal Box. This was built during World War 1 when an additional cross-over between the Joint line and the Furness was put in, only to be removed by the L M S R in the 1930's.
Corkickle Sidings are on the Up (right) side, as also Mirehouse Junction Box (once known as Corkickle No 2).
The Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway joins the Furness Railway main line at Mirehouse Junction and originally running powers exercised into the Corkickle Station. Note the "Poorhouse Sidings" on the Down (left) side, leading to the foot of the disused, but soon to be re-opened, Incline Brake leading up the site of the Ladysmith Pit and the new Marchon Chemical Works. The chimney of Haigh Pit can be seen on the skyline on the Down (left) side. On the same side are the tracks leading into Preston Street Goods Yard and the closed Corkickle locomotive shed. The original terminus of the WHITEHAVEN & FURNESS JUNCTION RAILWAY was on the Preston street site and was known as Newtown Station. The WHITEHAVEN & FURNESS JUNCTION RAILWAY was authorised under Act of 21st July 1845 for a line from Whitehaven to Broughton-in-Furness. The line was opened on 21st July 1849 for goods traffic and for passenger traffic on 1st July 1850 as far as Bootle, and throughout to Broughton on 1st November 1850. Newtown station was closed for passengers on the opening of the extension through the tunnel to Bransty on 30th September 1852.
WHITEHAVEN (CORKICKLE) Station is in a shallow cutting leading up to the Bransty Tunnel mouth. The tunnel was opened on 30th September 1852 when Corkickle Station was brought into use. The station was re-built in 1919 and consists of a single platform into which three tracks converge. Mile Post 74 from Carnforth is on the bank above the station platform.
Back to Top of Page.
Last update August 2016. Comments welcome: email@example.com